Monday 12 January 2009

Since my last report, personal misfortunes and delays have continued. It is now proving impossible to source the copyright and a decent copy of the DVD I originally intended to use, and I am now on the point of using another, which is somewhat less satisfactory than the original in some respects though perhaps not from others.

In addition I have had hold ups due to administrative and practical delays in providing me with a suitable computer and software for all the editing work that the preparation of my experimental materials entails. A fortnights evacuation from my flat due to fire, the aftermath of that and the inevitable Christmas holiday have not expedited things either.

The most recent setback comes from Research Autism's refusal of my grant application on the grounds that they do not fund individual students. I think that is a bit antithetical of the spirit in which that organisation is founded, particularly as my application had the full backing and support of the University to be included as a piece of official research. It is almost as if they do not want autistics poking around in their territory, the lunatics are taking over the asylum what!

Anyway my research has taken a new turn in that I intend to incorporate the work of a collaborator from Coventry University, who is currently making an awareness raising video as part of her coursework. I am very impressed with the novel approach she is taking to this, something which will be very different from any other video that has so far been made and a real mythbuster for some autistic stereotypes.

That is the way with research, when one avenue is blocked, one has to find other avenues to explore.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you familiar with the work going on at Stanford? (DIVER project)
http://diver.stanford.edu/what.html
I wonder if this may be applied in some way to autism (either the noticing by people with autism of behavioural cues in video) or some other variation of this?

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you are familiar with the work of the DIVER project at Stanford?
http://diver.stanford.edu/what.html

Larry Arnold PhD FRSA said...

Thank you.

That is essentially a proprietry, and non mainstream solution.

I am primarily interested not in the various technologies available so much as the reaction to the core technology of visual and by implication non socially mediated presentation.

To my mind Youtube on the other hand is a very interesting field of study essentially because of its availability and accessibility.

I appreciate the problem that Diver sets out to solve, it is one more relevant to the use of video as a modelling or observation tool and of course is an implicit critique of the notion of framing events. However that is more to do with the construction of narrative than the actual core cognitive perception of the complexity of what happens on screen.
Diver seems to me to address more of a philosophical question than a pragmatic one for the maker of video, and I think one cannot better Kurosawa's Rashomon so far as the question of multiple perspectives goes.